Home Page

Tuesday 7 April 2015

Chapter eight
Going potty

“Mummy,” said Dolly please may I join the pottery class please please, “and where did all this come from”? Enquired Mummy, “well” said Dolly, David showed me a pot he made at school yesterday and it looked so nice I thought I would like to try, and Mummy I could make something for Daddy as a surprise, don’t you think that would be so nice?.

“Well I don’t see why not” said Mummy, “you can tell your teacher that I give my permission”, “Oh goodie” squawked Dolly “quack quack quack" she said as she jumped up and down clapping her hands, it was the first thing she told David as they met on the way to school the next morning, “well”, said David, “we will have to wait until the next class and that’s not until Wednesday”.

That afternoon after school, Dolly called into the library to see if she could find a book on making pots, she picked one and ran home all excited, “look Mummy” she cried “quack quack  I have found this lovely book from the library”, “oh” said Mummy “there are lots and lots of nice things to make here Dolly”, and Dolly sat on the floor looking through all the pictures of things to make, all of a sudden she turned a page and there was a teacup, “look at this lovely cup Mummy” she said “I could make Daddy a teacup, do you think he would like that”? “Yes,” she said I think he would love a new teacup Darling.

Dolly could hardly wait for Wednesday, and eventually the day arrived, the teacher sat them all by their wheels and showed them how to throw clay onto the wheel, after about six times, Dolly managed to get her clay onto the wheel, the other times her clay had flown off  and covered half the schoolroom in clay, all the other children were laughing and dodging all the bits of  flying  clay from  Dolly’s wheel, “quack quack quack quack quack” they cried as they dodged the flying clay.

But after quite a lot of practise at last Dolly had made her cup, “OK” said the teacher to the class, I will now put all your pottery into the kilns to bake, and remember class, no one uses the kilns only me, as it gets very hot.
“I will watch the pots, and when they are ready I will take them out and put them all on this table to cool down so you can see them in the morning”.

That evening Dolly told her Daddy she had made him a cup and she would bring it home after school tomorrow, “oh what a lovely surprise thank you darling” he said, the next day at school Dolly picked up her cup, the teacher showed her how to paint a little pattern around it, it looked lovely after it had dried, she wrapped it in some soft tissue to take home, and that evening Dolly put the cup on the table ready for Daddy to have his tea, Daddy finished his food and Mummy asked if he would like a cup of tea? “Yes, please,” he said and I will use Dolly’s cup to drink it.

Mummy poured the tea, it really did look lovely, “Dolly I think you have done very well” Daddy said, and he lifted the cup to his lips to drink, as he did the tea started to leak through lots and lots of little holes all over his trousers, “Oh Daddy I’m sorry, it leaks a bit”. “No problem,” said Daddy, this is still the best cup of tea I have ever had, and he kissed her on the forehead, thank you, Dolly for my lovely cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment